The department Emissions focuses on pollutant emissions and energy consumption from motor vehicles. Activities include measurements on chassis dynamometers and engine test beds as well as testing with on-board measurement systems as well as developing and applying models that simulate fuel consumption and emissions of motor vehicles with conventional and alternative propulsion systems. Our software ranges from development tools for industry to emission inventories for cities and countries for the purpose of environmental monitoring.
Areas of expertise
- Measurement of emissions and energy consumption of vehicles
- Detailed simulation of
- single vehicles
- vehicle fleets
- Simulation of alternative propulsion systems (HEV, BEV, PHEV, REX)
- Development of test cycles from real world driving behavior
- Simulation of emissions for local, regional and global monitoring tasks
- EC HDV CO2 Regulation 2017/2400
Significant contributions in the technical parts of the legal texts, development of test procedures, and implementation of the required software for component evaluation and vehicle simulation.
- Handbook Emission Factors of Road Vehicles (HBEFA)
Providing the european standard data base for real-world emissions in all relevant traffic situations for two-wheelers, passenger cars and commercial vehicles.
- RDE compliance checking
Checking the "Reald Driving Emissions (RDE)" limit compliance of type approved passenger cars also under borderline driving conditions.
Our emissions team is made up of employees in the fields of measurement technology, modeling and simulation.
Well-trained staff with modern measuring technology and specialized evaluation software guarantees efficient measuring even in challenging tasks.
Measurements according to the RDE/ISC boundary conditions and as basis for emission models
- Passenger cars and heavy duty vehicles
- Off-Road, e.g., construction machinery and agricultural vehicles
Measurements in the Laboratory
- Passenger car chassis dynamometer
- Heavy duty vehicle chassis dynamometer
- Motorcycle chassis dynamometer
- Fuel and energy consumption measurement
- Analyses of regulated pollutants
- FTIR for non-regulated exhaust gas components
- Particle number and mass emissions
- Time-resolved and total values
We develop software tools for the simulation of fuel consumption and energy consumption as well as exhaust gas emissions from motor vehicles. Our tools and models are used throughout Europe. A close relationship between developers and users leads to practical and easy to handle simulation tools.
You need support in planning and realization of your measuring task? You need support in simulating vehicle emissions? We are happy to assist you. Our staff has profound knowledge and many years of expertise in the field of measuring and simulating vehicle emissions. This guarantees sound and practical advice on all questions concerning measurement tasks, data analysis, and certification of exhaust emissions and CO2 emissions.
- Design of measuring campaigns and test procedures
- Coordination and implementation
- Data analysis and interpretation
- Analysis of the status quo
- Effects of measures for environmental monitoring
- Optimization of drive train and energy flows on vehicles
- Emissions per vehicle up to inventories for countries
We consult you on questions regarding the certification of pollutant and CO2 emissions.
One of our thematic focuses is the methods and legal obligations regarding CO2 emissions and fuel consumption of heavy-duty vehicles in the EU (Regulation (EU) 2017/2400 for motor vehicles, Regulation (EU) 2022/1362 for trailers and the VECTO tool family). We offer specialised consulting services on these topics (VECTO Consulting).
- Development of software tools and component test methods for the EU-wide certification of heavy-duty vehicles
- Real Driving Emissions (RDE) measurements
- Generation of the HBEFA emissions factors of motor vehicles